There are many things to consider when it comes to proper hearing aid maintenance. Using the right cleaning products is also crucial to hearing aids prevent malfunctions. We have summarized hearing aids as the right tips and typical malfunctions for you.
Hearing Aid Care and Maintenance Tips
- Hearing aids should be removed when swimming, showering, or in the sauna, as they are not waterproof.
- Only use special cleaning products, such as a cleaning brush for care and no sharp objects, such as needles or scissors, which could damage the device.
- A soft pad is useful for caring for hearing aids to protect them from shocks.
- The use of a dry box is recommended to thoroughly remove liquids from the hearing aid on a daily basis.
- Neither alcohol nor water should be used for cleaning, as these liquids can damage the hearing aid.
Common hearing aid malfunctions
A hearing aid is a very delicate miniature technical masterpiece. If you take care of it daily, the long life of the devices is possible. Tips on care and hearing aid maintenance can be found here.
The hearing aid does not work
If you find that your hearing aid stops working, there are several things you can check yourself.
- Check to see if the battery is inserted the right way around.
- Replace the hearing aid batteries as a test.
- Check to see if the hearing aid may be turned down.
- See if the sound tube is twisted.
- See if the earmold is clogged with earwax or fluid.
- For hearing aids with different programs: Check if the correct program is set.
The hearing aid whistles
- Turn down the volume of the device a little.
- The whistling can also be caused by pressure. If you are wearing a tight hat or cap, remove it from your ears.
- The sound tube is no longer elastic. Replace it.
- With in-ear hearing aids, the position can sometimes be awkward. Try a slightly different position when you insert the hearing aids.
The hearing aid switches off
If your hearing aid simply turns off or the hearing aid stops working, here are some possible reasons:
- The battery could be dead, replace it to try it out.
- Moisture could be a reason, but the devices in a dry box overnight.
- Check the battery contacts and clean the contact points with a cotton swab.
- Check if the T-switch is in the correct position.
The hearing aid sound is distorted
If the sound with the hearing aid sounds distorted, you can do the following:
- Check if the volume is set too high or too low.
- Check if the earmold is clogged with earwax and clean it if necessary.
- Make sure the device is properly inserted in the ear.
You hear badly despite hearing aids?
If you hear poorly despite hearing aids, it can have different causes. The hearing aid may need to be readjusted, as hearing can also improve or deteriorate over time. A more powerful model may be recommended if your hearing has deteriorated significantly.
Setting the volume hearing aids correctly
If you are wearing a hearing aid for the first time, you may now perceive sounds too loudly or too softly. Even background noise or your own voice can often be perceived as too loud by the hearing aid user. In most cases, the reason for this is that the hearing has received less and less acoustic stimuli and it can now no longer cope properly with the many ambient sounds. With the new hearing aid, the brain must first learn again to classify sounds according to volume and priority. To do this, it is important to wear hearing aids regularly despite loud background noise. It is also common for your own voice to be perceived as too loud at first. The hearing gets used to this after a few days.